- This is not at all understood. Since antibiotics (particularly tetracyclines) are
effective therapy, a microbial contribution to pathogenesis has been considered but not
- Similarly, agents triggering flushing (for example, alcohol) have been thought to at
least aggravate rosacea, but it is not clear that this is the case.
- As discussed previously, the presence of red papules and pustules in the central third
of the face in the absence of comedones should suggest rosacea.
- Differential Diagnosis of Rosacea (see Table):
- The rosacea variants are likely to cause most trouble.
- The telangiectatic variant may be confused with photo damage, and the often described
but rarely seen "butterfly" rash of lupus.