Amazing Hair Facts!
- Hair is the fastest growing tissue in the body, second only to bone marrow.
- 35 meters of hair fibre is produced every day on the average adult scalp.
- The average scalp has 100,000 hairs. Redheads have the least at 80,000; brown and black haired persons have about 100,000; and blondes have the most at 120,000.
- 90% of scalp hairs are growing and 10% are resting.
- It is normal to lose 100 hairs per day from the scalp.
- You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone.
- Many drugs can cause hair loss.
- Thyroid imbalance and iron deficiency are reversible causes for hair loss.
- Over 50% of men by age 50 have male pattern hair loss.
- Forty percent of women by the time they reach menopause will have female pattern (hereditary) hair loss.
Jerry Shapiro, MD, FRCPC
University of British Columbia Hair Research and Treatment Centre
Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre.
Return to the Skin Care Centre Homepage